Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape libraries

2002-12-09 13:37:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape libraries
From: "Sean K. SanRomani <seansks AT fsl.orst DOT edu>" <seansks AT FSL.ORST DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:37:49 -0800
We've been using AIT-2 drives in a Qualstar library for sometime, and have had
good success.
Granted, there are many other issues revolving around this, such as the OS (Win
2K), and the
software (NetWorker) which have all contributed to my decision to purchase
stock in Advil :-).

Anyway, I'm working on moving up to AIT-3 at the moment...

However, soon, and I don't know when, Sony will be releasing the S-AIT drives.
This is a
move from the 8mm format to a 1/2" format in a full height drive.  The upside
is 500 GB of
storage on a tape native (compressed it's 1.2 TB).  The transfer rate is 30
MB/sec.

The following web site, http://www.aittape.com/, is a good resource for info on
AIT, and has
some info on the S-AIT product, but unfortunately no release info.

We're considering this when it's available, but if like me, your timeline is
requiring something
now, you're probably need to use AIT-3, DLT, LTO, etc...

-sean