Networker

Re: [Networker] AlphaStor

2002-11-20 13:52:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] AlphaStor
From: Julia Byrnes <JByrnes AT PHN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:52:51 -0800
I had a previous version installed running with 5.5.3 (had some issues so
deinstalled it) but am anxiously awaiting to upgrade my Legato to install
Alphastor again.  I found managing my offsite tapes so much easier with
Alphastor.  Right now I use an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my tapes
and it is a hassle and I only have 400 tapes to take care of.  Can't imagine
how you deal with your volumes.

I found that the gui was very simple and was just given a quick lesson on
how to deal with it and was up and running.  Mind you, I had a few co-op
students that couldn't cope with the concept of remove the tape and then hit
the continue button on the gui but I think that was more an issue with
aptitude (I am trying to be nice)

I did have the Alphastor team install the product since it needs to be
aligned with all your pools and retentions and such. If you don't have the
time to spend at least a day to set it all up then it is much easier to have
them deal with it.   I later on learned how to use the command line
utilities as needed.  It really wasn't that big of a deal.

The program is also very easy to remove from Networker if you change your
mind.  It just involves rerunning jbconfig.  Alphastor doesn't actually
touch any of the Networker indexes.

Julia

The information contained in this electronic message is for the exclusive
and confidential use of the addressee.  Any other distribution, use,
reproduction or alteration of the information contained in this electronic
message, by the addressee or by any other recipient, without the prior
written consent of Phillips, Hager & North Investment Management Ltd. is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this electronic message in error,
please notify the sender.