Networker

Re: [Networker] What is the limitation on number of SAN storage nodes?

2002-11-20 10:56:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] What is the limitation on number of SAN storage nodes?
From: Carl Farnsworth <carl.farnsworth AT DIGIDYNE DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:56:51 -0500
I had always assumed that this limitation was simply a loading issue, ie
too many nsrmmd processes running for a system to handle.  k0s5's response
indicates that there may have also been a bug affecting this??

Regardless, the DDS option is a nice feature, but limited.  Legato still
wants to sell you AlphaStor for complex or large drive sharing
configurations.  In your example, for example, I would ask why would you
want to share all 6 drives with all 7 servers?  Does any one of these
servers have enough juice to push 6 drives at once?  Most NT servers only
have 3 or 4 partitions defined, so could only use that many drives anyway
(unless you get squirrely with your saveset config).  I would suggest that
each server only needs access to 3 or 4 drives, which would reduce the
number of nsrmmd's to a comfortable level.

Carl Farnsworth
DigiDyne Inc.

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 13:36:55 -0800, Brian Plume <brian.plume AT NTH DOT COM>
wrote:

>Good afternoon, everyone.
>
>I seem to recall reading a white paper on a software limitation of 45
nsrmmd processes for a windows based networker server.  Is this still
true?  If so, how are you people backing up SAN attached servers?  Given
the example:
>7 SAN storage nodes all seeing a 6 drive tape library, that would be a
total of 42 nsrmmd processes.  That's CLOSE to the 45 limit I recall
seeing, and is a VERY SMALL amount of servers to back up through a SAN.  Am
I missing something here, or is the newest version of Networker supporting
more processes?