Networker

Re: [Networker] Stuck tape

2002-11-15 05:14:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Stuck tape
From: agascoyn <agascoyn AT ESO DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:15:39 +0100
Hi Stan

You could try manually unloading the device from inside your unit.

This takes about a couple of minutes then the library will re-scan the
tapes, the time for this is dependant on the number of tapes in the library.

I have successfully done this whilst a backup was running (using a
STK9710 library) without interrupting the backup.

Once removed check the tape is not damaged. It is possible that the
leader tape on the drive it'self is damaged and therefore nothing is
happening with the drive/tape.

If possible it is better to reset the library or if not possible the
unit it'self, you can use multiple -v options to obtain more information
when doing this, for example:

nsrjb -HEvvvvvvvv

Another thing to think about is wether the tape is really still in the
device, or if the software just thinks it is.

However once the tape is removed you can ensure the software knows it
has been removed by using the GUI "nwadmin" main screen:

select: Media
select: Devices
Select: View
Select: Details

In the Devices window click the suspect device:

Check line: Volume Label

If there is a tape number here you can remove it.

Click on: Apply

Now run an inventory:

nsrjb -Ivvvvvvv

again the extra v's provide you with more information as to what is
going on.

Hope this helps,

Andrew