Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker on tru64

2002-11-14 20:07:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker on tru64
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 20:07:12 -0500
On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Richard Hoare wrote:

> Can someone answer whether by default Networker with tru64 ignores the
> /tmp folder on a full backup.
>
> Is this folder part of the systems swap file?

Yes, and no. The default behavior depends on how you set up each
particular Tru64 Unix client entry. In the client window within nwadmin,
there's a menu of directives options. For example, there is a directive
item that says "netware with compression" and "netware without compession"
or something along those lines. There's also a directives option that says
"unix with compression" and another that says "unix without compression".
The Unix directive (with or without compression) includes skip statements
to avoid backing up the /tmp directory and some other items.

Think carefully about using this option though. I got burned by it on one
Tru64 Unix client a couple of years ago. One of the skip directives causes
the core dump files not to be backed up. This sounds fine, however, we had
a user create a directory full of html files. This directory was called
"core". Much to our chagrin (and the user's), none of the user's files was
recovered after that system's disk crashed. That user was not a happy
customer!

A better opton is to manually code your own server side directives file OR
create a client side directives file to skip the stuff you have no need to
back up. Either option provides for a much greater level of customization,
compared to NetWorker's canned directives files.

You can find out more about this stuff by reading up in the NetWorker
administration guide under the "directives" section.