Networker

Re: [Networker] skip asm in directive

2002-11-13 17:53:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] skip asm in directive
From: "Wells, George" <george.wells AT ATTWS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:52:51 -0600
Try looking at backupcentral.com under the Networker FAQ's.

George Wells
NDCO TSS Shared Storage Support
D:  (214)547-2115
C:  (214)668-7452

-----Original Message-----
From: Brendan Sandes [mailto:Brendan.Sandes AT NRE.VIC.GOV DOT AU]
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 4:47 PM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Subject: [Networker] skip asm in directive

Hi All.

I'm trying to create a directive on the server that will skip a
subdirectory. The manual says that skip "omits the specified files and
directories from the backup" so I'm assuming that it acutally does this.

The situation is that we have a partition /project with two large
directories (DEV and TEST (about 180GB each) that we want to backup on
alternating nights. E.g. DEV on Monday and TEST on Tuesday etc.  The way
to do this seems to be to create two client entries with two seperate
groups and use different directives (would have been nice to have had
the data on seperate partitions I agree).  (I only mention this to
illustrate why I cannot have a .nsr directory in the top
level)

So I have /project/data/DEV and /project/data/TEST

What I tried to do was to create a new directive that would skip the DEV
directory. I have a seperate group set up.  I created a sepearate
client.  Put the directive name into the client, browse, retention
periods, & added the saveset of /project

I have tried the following - none of which work.  It always backs up the
DEV
directory:

skip :  DEV
-------------------------
+skip: DEV
-------------------------
<< /project >>
skip: DEV
-------------------------
<< /project >>
+skip: DEV
-------------------------
<< "/project" >>
+skip: DEV
-------------------------
<< "/project" >>
+skip: "DEV"
-------------------------

I cannot think of any more ways to try it.  Any suggestions?  Every
example I can find deals with skipping files.

The other thing is, is it possible to do this from the root level?  I
have 5 partitions that are mounted which can all contain these
directories and I don't want to have to change the directive each time
we create or destroy a partition.

Cheers
Brendan

--
Note: To sign off this list, send a "signoff" command via email to
listserv AT listmail.temple DOT edu or visit the list's Web site at