Networker

Re: [Networker] Staging in Networker?

2002-11-12 15:08:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Staging in Networker?
From: "Fenton, Julie" <fenton AT WPB.NUWC.NAVY DOT MIL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 14:54:29 -0500
I'm a little late in reading the emails, so forgive the delay.  I was using
staging with networker on version 6.0.1.  It worked great.  I wasn't using the
high/low watermark though.  I had set up a scheduled task and a batch script
(I'm running server on NT4 SP6a) to perform the staging.  This way I could
control what clients were staged and when.  I staged based on the age of the
backup instead of a watermark.  Obviously I took the size of the disk into
account when determining the age at which to stage each client.  I wasn't
staging a lot of clients so the overhead of maintaining the script file wasn't
a problem for me.  I did have just one disk partition to which the files were
saved.

I also set up another disk partition to handle on-demand backups so that user
initiated backups were fast.

But after using it for about one year, it just stopped working.  First backing
up to the file type device no longer worked.  The file-type device would be
marked full at 10GB when it had 350GB of space available.  Then staging began
to fail - although I can't remember what errors I was receiving.

Calls to Legato indicated first that I should upgrade to 6.1.2 which did fix
the staging errors, but not the disk being marked full prematurely.  They next
said I had to upgrade to version 6.2, which I haven't done yet.  I am really
hoping that this will fix my problems as I would love to get back to staging my
data.  Makes the evening backups complete so much faster.

Julie