Networker

[Networker] IBM3584 library strangeness

2002-11-12 09:20:53
Subject: [Networker] IBM3584 library strangeness
From: tftek AT CRYPT.ERIE.GE DOT COM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:06:37 -0500
Our current Networker setup is quite outdated... 5.5.1 with
a too-small Storagetek library.

Right now I'm evaluating some upgrades. Networker 6.1.2 on
a new Sunfire 880, with an IBM 3584 library. The library
has two frames, 4 IBM LTO drives each. The drives are HVD
scsi, one drive per bus:

[email protected]:TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M14011009|CD-ROM, /dev/rdsk/c0t6d0s2
[email protected]:IBM     ULT3580-TD1     25D4|Tape
[email protected]:IBM     03584L32        2460|Autochanger (Jukebox)
[email protected]:IBM     ULT3580-TD1     25D4|Tape
[email protected]:IBM     ULT3580-TD1     25D4|Tape
[email protected]:IBM     ULT3580-TD1     25D4|Tape
[email protected]:IBM     ULT3580-TD1     25D4|Tape
[email protected]:IBM     ULT3580-TD1     25D4|Tape
[email protected]:IBM     ULT3580-TD1     25D4|Tape
[email protected]:IBM     ULT3580-TD1     25D4|Tape

Using the IBMtape drivers (4.0.5.9), I can see all the drives
and the media changer. If I manually load tapes I can read and write
them. On the advice in an IBM redbook I commented out the entry
for the changer in the IBMtape.conf file, and added an entry in
st.conf, so that the changer would not be controlled by IBMtape.
I don't actually think the changer is controlled by st, must be lus.
I think that advice is based on an older version of IBMtape.
What I actually have done is setup a second control path, so one was
controlled by IBMtape and one not, and tested both. The control path
controlled by IBMtape just gives me an i/o error for everything.

So here's where the weirness starts. First, the jbconfig resets all the
scsi buses before finding the library (data overruns from lun 1 for all
targets that do not have the control path). After a while it eventually
gets past all that, but thinks the library has 16 drives.  To get around
this, I just configured 8 bogus devices that I deleted later from the jukebox
configuration.

next issue: legato will only load tapes into the first 4 drives configured
in the jukebox settings. Any of the 8 will work depending on the order I
configure them. The first four listed in the jukebox config
always work and the other four do not --
nsrjb reports nsrjb: Jukebox error:  Tue 08:41:41 AM Illegal Request, ASC 0x3b
ASCQ 0x82
on those.

So, I ran sjirelem and found something yet more interesting. For the drives it
showed drives present for elements 1-4 and 13-16 (pres_val=1). HMMM! SO I added
8 more dummy devices. First the first four drives, next the 8 dummy devices,
then
the last four drives. All the dummy devices are disabled. And guess what.. it
WORKS.
All drives.

But I don't want all these dummy devices!

Anyone encounter this and have a better workaround?