Networker

Re: [Networker] Asking for advices for a Simulation of a loss of NW resources and Indexes (/nsr)

2002-11-06 19:17:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Asking for advices for a Simulation of a loss of NW resources and Indexes (/nsr)
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 18:17:08 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] Asking for advices for a Simulation of a loss of...:

>Say that the different server to which I want recover resources (/nsr/res)
>and
>indexes (/nsr/indexes) is named 'simulate', and my actual server is named
>'backsrv'.
>
>For 2., Say that at some point I could disconnect the 'simulate' computer
>from
>the network so that I could give it the same name as the original backup
>server ('backsrv').

This should work, but I would choose a different approach.  Instead of only
having one on the network at the same time, I would first try configuing
"simulate" so that it thinks its name is `backsrv', even though all
external machines still talk to it as simulate.

How you go about doing this is platform-specific, but most UNIX platforms
can be configured so that they look at their /etc/hosts file first, before
trying name resolution via DNS (or some other method).

As an example, let's say that the your real backup server is

        backsrv.yourdomain.com          192.168.10.10

and your disaster recover server *really* has a hostname and IP address
of:

        simulate.yourdomain.com         192.168.10.42

What I would do is:

1) configure simulate so that it resolves hostnames out of /etc/hosts
first.

2) modify its /etc/hosts like this:

192.168.10.10           backsrv-real.yourdomain.com
192.168.10.42           backsrv.yourdomain.com

3) change simulate's hostname to be `backsrv'.

At this point, it has the IP address your DNS says it should
(192.168.10.42) so when external machines connect to `simulate' they
get connected correctly.  Internally, simulate is convinced that it's
really `backsrv', though.

This should make it relatively easy to do your disaster recovery, since
you can have both on the network at the same time.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu