Networker

Re: [Networker] bad performance when backing W2K server's up, but not with netvaul !

2002-11-01 07:21:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] bad performance when backing W2K server's up, but not with netvaul !
From: Bokkelkamp Ernst <ernst.bokkelkamp AT SIEMENS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 13:21:38 +0100
First thing you should check that you DO NOT have client side compression
selected.
It slows down the backup because the processor is too busy compressing and
Legato will only display the actual (compressed) data rate it receives from
the client. Because the drive can't compress it will always show a maximum
of 5MB/sec.

The better method to check the performance is to use the time to backup a
certain amount of date. Backup programs are known to lie about the tape
drive performance, although not always intentionally.

Bye
Ernie