Networker

Re: [Networker] ADIC's Scalar 1000 tape library - your experiences??

2002-11-01 00:28:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] ADIC's Scalar 1000 tape library - your experiences??
From: "Chad R. Larson" <clarson AT ELDOCOMP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 22:28:25 -0700
At 02:49 PM 10/29/02 , David W. Loveless wrote:
We're wanting to hear about any experiences you've had with ADIC's
Scalar 1000 tape library.

Ok, some of this won't be right on target to your questions, but we've got
a Scalar 458 (two DLT7000 drives, 48 tape slots).  It has been very reliable.

We've also got an ADIC FastStor (one DLT4000, 7 slots).

Did you consider buying an ADIC library and then change your mind? If you
did, why did you not buy the unit and what did you buy instead?

Nope, although we did buy an Overland LoaderXpress with a single DLT7000
and 10 slots.  We got it factory refurbished with a short warrantee for
$700, less than a tenth what they cost new.  Price was the reason for that
purchase.

If you've been using ADIC equipment, what did you think about the
company, their service and support record, etc...?

The actual feet on the street here in Phoenix are provided by NCR, but
they've been great and seem to get good second level phone support if they
run into surprises.

And ADIC did an exchange repair on the FastStor (it's too small to actually
send someone out) where the new unit arrived and we shipped the broken one
back in the same packing material.  They did that even though the unit was
technically outside the service contract.

I'm =very= pleased with the support, and if I need any new libraries I'll
look to ADIC first for that reason.

In a prior job, I bought a StorageTek 9740 (10 DLT7000, 300 or so
slots).  I was also very pleased with their service, but for the price it
ought to be good.

When we buy out next library, we're planning to use LTO tape drives.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't.  The tapes don't interchange between
manufacturers, so you're basically locked in to whichever one you buy
first.  And if you've been in business for some time, you probably have
thousands of dollars tied up in media that you won't be able to read unless
you keep your old system(s) around too.

If/when we upgrade tape technology, we will definitely go to SDLT.

        -crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)    chad AT eldocomp DOT com
  Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100