Networker

Re: [Networker] order of backup

2002-09-24 00:51:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] order of backup
From: Byron Servies <bservies AT PACANG DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 21:51:42 -0700
On September 23, 2002 at 14:22, Zaigui Wang wrote:
> Experts,
>
> If we have a bunch of save sets in the backup pool,
> how does networker determine which one to back up
> first?
>
> This is a relevant question because in our setup, the
> largest data set has always been the one that lags
> behind. Is there a way to make sure that the largest
> data set always gets kicked off first? Number of
> sessions does not matter any more once there is only
> one save set left to be backed up.
>
> Will spliting the largest save set into multiple save
> sets work?

Hi there!

If you have the savesets listed in a single client
resource, or even multiple resources in the same group,
then NetWorker will start them all at the same time.
The smaller savesets begin to save faster because they
have less index work to do before the save process
has figured out exactly what files will be saved.

In order to have your large saveset start before the
smaller ones, you will need to have it in a group
that starts earlier than the others.

HTH,

Byron