Networker

Re: [Networker] License problems with upgrade Solaris 9, SBU 6.12,autochanger (Summary)

2002-09-18 17:01:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] License problems with upgrade Solaris 9, SBU 6.12,autochanger (Summary)
From: Joel Krajden <joelk AT CS.CONCORDIA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:53:23 -0400
Carl

You were right that I needed a licence that would support all my slots and not
just 32.
but ... I also needed a "shared autochanger enabler" since two drives in the
jukebox were attached to the Netapp while the other two drives and robotics
were attached to the Networker server in my configuration.
The admin docs for 6.1xx mention this, but the latest release notes, say this
was an error and that the power and network versions do not require it.  Well
they do. I probaly lost 8 days figuring this out.

NDMP on the Netapp: jbverify complains about not having an authorized
connection to the netapp, but an automatically scheduled savegroup with the
netapp as the only client works using NDMP version 3.

I still had a problem with where the index gets written. The netapp savegroup
insists that the tape for the index be in the same pool as the netapp but on
the Networker server and I don't seem to be able to get around this. This
means that the netapp which is acting as a storage node writes the file system
to a tape. The robotics than gets this or another tape labeled for the Netapp
and sticks it into a drive hooked up to the Networker server and than writes
the index. I would have thought that the pool  where the indexes for my
clients usually go with tapes accessible to the drives on the Networker server
in the same library would have been sufficient. The documents for setting up
the NDMP client say that it should have its own 'NDMP client' pool, but this
means that tapes from the same pool might have to be in more than one jukebox
if I did not have the shared configuration. Hope I am not being confusing ...
but it is.

Joel

--
| Joel Krajden              | Room: LB-915,  Tel: 848-3052  Fax 848-2830  |
| Senior Systems Analyst    | Email: joelk AT cs.concordia DOT ca

| Dept. of Computer Science | http://www.cs.concordia.ca/~staffcs/joelk   |
| Concordia University      |   Remember it's a circus and the clowns     |
| Montreal, Canada          |   are supposed to make you laugh, not cry.  |