Networker

Re: [Networker] can't fetch old volume error

2002-09-03 20:20:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] can't fetch old volume error
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 15:19:24 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] can't fetch old volume error, Graham, Sean...:

>I have a server running 6.1.1 on Solaris that has the same issue you
>reported, however on a more frequent basis. We have been able to deduce
>that forcing a shutdown due to hardware errors has been the trigger.

That's pretty much what I've seen too.

>In any event, we have attempted to peform a "forced db corruption" hoping
>that NetWorker can rebuild the media database btrees. This operation was
>never succesful, and we have had to resort to recovering the media
>database from the last known good bootstrap.

That's what I had to do on Friday, unfortunately.  At least I'm getting
good at my NetWorker "disaster recovery" procedure.  :-)

>I am thinking of moving up to 6.1.2 soon, as other 6.1.2 servers have
>been rather stable.

After using mmrecov to get the media database back from Thursday's backup
and making sure things were copacetic, I went ahead and upgraded our
server to 6.1.2.  There's not much in the 6.1.2 release notes that would
lead me to believe that the problem was known and fixed between 6.1.1 and
6.1.2, but hope springs eternal.

I appreciate your response!  Sometimes it's nice to know that others have
run into the same problem, even if no one has a fix for it yet.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu