Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem with depositing tapes

2002-08-29 09:42:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem with depositing tapes
From: "Rymwid, Peter" <prymwid AT TIAA-CREF DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:45:27 -0400
I'll take it.
Glory to you.

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Stan Horwitz [mailto:stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 2:12 PM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Lewis, Terry {Info~Palo Alto} wrote:

> Stan,
>
>   In my experience with depositing tapes into a jukebox,
> I've either 1) done the deposit at a time when no volumes
> are mounted, or 2) specified particular slot numbers for
> the deposit operations.  Whenever I've just run a deposit
> operation with no slot numbers specified, the deposited
> volumes wind up in the first open jukebox slots.  Whether
> this is a function of NetWorker processing or jukebox
> command execution, I don't know.  I just know to now
> be wary of non-specific deposit commands.

Thanks Terry and everyone else who responded to my question. I am working
on a PERL script to sense which slots are empty and deposit tapes only to
those slots, rather than allowing nsrjb to figure out which slots to use.
The script is probably done. As soon as I need to deposit some tapes, I
will give the script a try. Anyone who wants a copy of this script is
welcome to it if you let me know. Its for PERL on Unix, but it should work
on any system that has PERL on it with a small modification or two.