Networker

Re: [Networker] License issue for Disaster Recovery CD for Solaris

2002-08-28 23:21:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] License issue for Disaster Recovery CD for Solaris
From: Goldman of Chaos <goldman AT VISI DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 22:24:35 -0500
Alex T. H. Li said the following...
> Dear Matt,
>
> I am only a Technical Man. How about if I charge only for a service? I have
> sent this CD to SUN Microsystems in HK but no any complaint. For the CD for
> ARCServe, CA encourage us and certified it as CASmart...
>
> Anyway, May I sell this as a service to create a CD for persons who have
> Legato Networker License and Solaris Machine? If they can prove that they
> have these license, can I create this CD for them and give a service charge?
> or if I share this CD with this discussion group, will it violate the
> license?
>
> I am a technical guy... Yup, it's true.

Hi Alex,

Seeing as I'm not a lawyer, take my advice with a grain of salt.

I would be very careful about this sort of service, unless you get
an agreement in writing between your company's legal department and
the legal department of each of the companies involved.

Otherwise you could open your company up to huge legal problems.

Please don't get me wrong, I think the service is really a neat
idea; however, just because a branch of SMI didn't respond to
the CD, doesn't mean that in a year or two SMI's (or who ever
owns them at the time!) lawyers won't try to raise some additional
money by sueing you and your company.

Getting a legal agreement with SMI's lawyers can be really annoying,
even for very simple tasks.  It would be really easy if the technical
folks could iron out agreements on a handshake; however, once the
lawyers are involved the entire process can get bogged down.

I'd still be interested in seeing what sort of layout you used
for the CD.  You might be able to publish and sell that, leaving
the actual burning of the CD up to individuals.

Good luck with it,

Matt

--
  O      O            __ |     \|                             O       O

Gallium--Arsenide: The technology of the future, as it always will be.
        Dr. A. Goldman, Dr. R. Goldman and Dr. E Behringer