Networker

Re: [Networker] target sessions

2002-08-26 12:23:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] target sessions
From: Carl Farnsworth <carl.farnsworth AT DIGIDYNE DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:26:24 -0400
On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 22:02:00 +0800, k0s5 <k0s5 AT YAHOO DOT COM> wrote:

>Hi All,
>Other than server parallelism and target session, there is client
parallelism.
>Have you guys happen to know the correct behaviour of the client
parallelism

>What I have observe in my environment
>client parallelism = 8
>target session = 4
>server parallelism = 48
>jukebox parallelism -> n/a (version 6.0.3)
>
>The first backup will take 2 drive
>If I start the second backup, it will grab another 2 drive.
>So total output from this client will be 16 streams (4 drive)
>Is this correct to assume that client parallelism is not global parameter
>but more on savegroup level.
>
>any comment?

"Client parallelism" is not global parameter - it applies to each client
resource, (where "client" is a host to be backed up).

Server parallelism is global parameter (except can be "under-ridden" by
Savegroup parallelism - which is another topic).

>From above values - first client to respond will supply up to 8 save
streams, which will fill up first 2 drives (TargSession 4 each).  If it has
more save streams than 8 it will have to wait until some finish.  Next
client to respond will use up next 2 drives, etc.  If drives are full, then
additional clients will stack on top in round-robin fashion, until 48 max
is reached (or savegrp max).

HTH
Carl Farnsworth
DigiDyne Inc.