Networker

Re: [Networker] Slackware and Networker 6.1.1

2002-08-21 16:23:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Slackware and Networker 6.1.1
From: Charlie Cook <cook AT NCBI.NLM.NIH DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 16:26:12 -0400
At 04:14 PM 8/21/2002 -0400, Skolnik, Ed wrote:
How did you install Legato on your slackware machines? I new to Linux
(been using AIX for years without these issues).

        You can use alien or rpm2tgz (I prefer alien because it can do
other formats as well) to get the tgz file.  All it is at this point is a
gzipped tarball.  You can either do the gunzip, tar -xf dance to get the
files and copy them into place or use pkginstall (recommend this
route).  pkginstall is easy to use.  Just put the file name as the argument
and away it goes.
        I seem to remember that the install script doesn't quite convert
right though.  I think it was just correctly substituting a path for a
variable and then it would run.  Since I fixed it and repackaged, I don't
remember.  All the things it was complaining about will probably be on the
system.  It is just looking for that stuff in the rpm database and not
finding it since Slack isn't an rpm based system.

Charlie