Networker

Re: [Networker] tape drive technology

2002-08-07 02:46:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] tape drive technology
From: "Tarjei T. Jensen" <tarjei.jensen AT KVAERNER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 02:49:04 -0400
Paul Crossman wrote:

>Yes, this is what I'm asking for opinion on.  The vendor I'm talking
>with is pushing AIT3 stuff.  I'm asking for others' opinions on tape
>technology.
>
>What have people on this list gone with lately and why?  What drove the
>decision?  Price?  The salesperson?  The pile of T-Shirts & Coffee mugs?

I have a Adic Scalar 1000 with 4 DLT7000.

If I could choose when going for a new tape drive, I would go Super DLT.
Quantum has a very nice track record as far as I'm concerned. Having
Tandberg as a second source is a plus in my book.

The SDLT320 gives me a nice upgrade path from the SDLT220 without having to
throw away the media.

However since sombody else here bought a IBM LTO based Scalar 1000, it
looks like I will get LTO whether I like it or not.

For various issues with LTO drives and makers, search the archive.

greetings,