Networker

Re: [Networker] tape drive technology

2002-08-06 14:28:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] tape drive technology
From: "Chad R. Larson" <clarson AT ELDOCOMP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 11:09:42 -0700
At 07:41 AM 8/6/02 , Paul Crossman wrote:
Should I purchase a large DLT jukebox, or switch tape format entirely?
I've been talking with a vendor and they suggest moving to AIT3 tape
technology.

Ok, speaking for no one but myself...

I'd use SDLT for the tape technology.  The DLT4000 and DLT7000 drives have
an excellent record in the field, and proven interchangeability (saving you
from vendor lock-in).  The DLT folks (www.dlttape.com) have also published
their growth path through the next several years, and keeping media
compatibility for at least one prior generation is part of that.

Next, by all means get a real jukebox.  =And= be sure it has a barcode
reader.  Otherwise an inventory of library contents can be prohibitively
long.  Plus, you can use the barcode as the tape identifier for an off-site
storage vendor, and you can use the existing management tools (such as
mminfo) to generate recall lists.

Finally, I've had good experience with ADIC, Overland and StorageTek libraries.

        -crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)    chad AT eldocomp DOT com
  Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100