Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker Recovery Manager

2002-08-06 13:12:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker Recovery Manager
From: "Day, David" <david.day AT SOUS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 12:14:07 -0500
I am as well.  We are evaluating this product against Veritas BMR.  In a
UNIX environ, the base price list is $14,000 with client costs of $700 each.
In an all MS environ, the cost as I understand is $700 each, no base charge.

My interest has been focused with Windows 2000.
One problem I have with the Legato product is the CDROM image is unique to
the system so one would need to burn (or be prepared to burn one during an
event) a current CD for each system.  The client then boots from the CDROM
and builds.  Upon completion, a restore is initiated from tape.  Only one
reboot required.  Windows 2000 is not supported, perhaps in October.  I
would stay several weeks away from an initial release.

The Veritas product uses a generic boot diskette and the base system is
rebuilt across the network based on the last BMR backup and once completed,
data is restored from last file backup.  Using Veritas BMR requires several
system reboots to complete the entire rebuild.  It also requires a UNIX
server on the LAN.  Windows 2000 has been supported for over a year.

Since I am only researching these products, please reply with corrections.
I'm also very interested in actual experience with either product.

TIA
David