Networker

Re: [Networker] tape drive technology

2002-08-06 12:29:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] tape drive technology
From: "Lewis, Terry {Info~Palo Alto}" <TERRY.LEWIS AT ROCHE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 09:31:02 -0700
Paul,
  For me, the primary factors that led me to choose AIT were
its comparatively lower cost and its physically smaller form.  I
was basically facing the same issues you mentioned when I
made the switch from DLT to AIT.  Despite its 8mm heritage, it's
worked like a champ, though I'm sure the library has a lot to do
with that.  It's performed as good if not better than I expected and
given some great capacity numbers.  Of some 1500 cartridges,
only 1 was "bad" out of the box and 1 other was lost in a drive --
it got stuck and the FE never returned it when it got unstuck.

I project sticking with AIT for the next 3-5 years, but will probably
have some other tape technology on hand as well.  Management
here is hinting at LTO and I have to admit that there must be
something to the half-inch form factor.  I've heard that even the
SuperAIT technology is based on half-inch.  Looking forward, I see
the ongoing costs of constantly changing media types (i.e. DLTIII
to DLTIV, AIT-2 to AIT-3, plus whatever comes next) tempering my
allegiance to the current AIT format.  I'm happy for now though.

Terry