Networker

Re: [Networker] AW: [Networker] --- TCP/IP crash with GIGABIT ---

2002-08-06 08:50:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] AW: [Networker] --- TCP/IP crash with GIGABIT ---
From: Ivan Mason <ivan.mason AT OTAGO.AC DOT NZ>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 08:43:09 -0400
We have a simuler problem, I posted the following on a Compaq forum... (I
don't understand why I only have the problem when running backups on the
Networker server?)

Compaq ML530G2 running Legato NetWorker 6.1.1 losing network connectivity
with NC7131 Gigabit NIC

Both the internal NC3163 Fast Ethernet NIC and the NC7131 report a
high ?Receive Overrun? count when under load, when using the Gigabit NIC
the network interface will sometimes go dead (escalating ?Receive
Overruns?) and then recover, this may last for seconds at a time. It will
eventually stop all together again only reporting escalating ?Receive
Overruns?.

When this happens the interface goes completely dead (continuous pinging
confirms this along with performance monitoring of the interface traffic)

This is a new installation of the server Compaq Smart Start 5.40 + Windows
2000 + SP2 + Legato NetWorker 6.1.1

I have tested this system configuration on a DL360 G2 which we had
available and we have been able to process the same volume of traffic with
no reported ?Receive Overruns? on its Gigabit NIC.

I noted the advisory (co010308_cw04) where the NC7131 may lock up ProLiant
6500/7000 servers. Is there an interaction problem with the new DL530 G2
hardware and heavily loaded NIC?s?

I can only reproduce this using our backup software in anger, file copies
(run either client or server side) etc do not expose the problem.

Suggestions, Did any one get to the bottom of this?
Regards Ivan.