Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] With "Ignore FileSet Changes = yes", how long are the changes ignored for? Is the behavior different when using base jobs?

2012-12-31 02:28:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] With "Ignore FileSet Changes = yes", how long are the changes ignored for? Is the behavior different when using base jobs?
From: joost AT jodocus DOT org
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 08:07:21 +0100
> Hello,
>
> I haven't been able to find any definitive information on this topic
> (apologies if I missed something), so I'd appreciate it if anyone could
> clarify what happens in the following situations.
>
> Here is the relevant documentation:
>
> http://www.bacula.org/5.2.x-manuals/en/main/main/Configuring_Director.html#SECTION001470000000000000000
>
> If I am interpreting it correctly, setting "Ignore FileSet Changes = yes"
> (with no base jobs involved) will cause any changes to the fileset to be
> ignored until the next full backup. Is this correct?

No. It only stops the next job from being forced to Full.
Bacula will immediately use the new fileset. However:

Say you've added /newdir to the file set. Files in /newdir that haven't
been modified since the previous backup job won't be included in your next
incremental. Possibly not even in the next differential.

So big warning here, your backup might not be complete until your next Full.

A way around this is to do "accurate" backups. Bacula will then detect the
files in /newdir haven't been backed up, because of the lack of meta
information in the catalog.

Joost.