Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula Volumes - Multiple Volume Lists for Multiple Clients

2012-12-19 14:54:27
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula Volumes - Multiple Volume Lists for Multiple Clients
From: Joseph De Nicolo <denicoloj AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 14:51:55 -0500
My Pool Resource:
# File Pool definition
Pool {
  Name = File
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically recycle Volumes
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 60 days          # one year
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 1000G        # Limit Volume size to something reasonable
  Label Format = "${FileSet}_${Level}_${Year}-$
{Month:p/2/0/r}-${Day:p/2/0/r}"
}

Note: I am not using tapes, this is an offsite backup server writing to local hard disks. The directory which it uses to put the volumes should look like this as an example:
total 41675520
-rw-r----- 1 bacula tape xxxxxxxxxxxx Dec xx xx:xx WEB_FULL_2012_12_16
-rw-r----- 1 bacula tape xxxxxxxxxxxx Dec xx xx:xx WEB_INCREMENTAL_2012_12_17
-rw-r----- 1 bacula tape xxxxxxxxxxxx Dec xx xx:xx WEB_INCREMENTAL_2012_12_18
-rw-r----- 1 bacula tape xxxxxxxxxxxx Dec xx xx:xx WEB_INCREMENTAL_2012_12_19
... and so on

I'm trying to test bacula at the moment. So in the console I am doing a "run" command and specifying the job and pool, but it just hangs and never does anything. The error I get is from the storage daemon.
ERROR:
17-Dec 16:18 backup-sd JobId 26: Job BackupCatalog.2012-12-17_16.18.45_04 is waiting. Cannot find any appendable volumes.

When I actually do "label" command in console and give it a name then the job completes but I DONT WANT TO DO THIS. This should be automatic and do the labeling as I specified label format definitive. If I have to manually label a volume which will run every night (incrementals) then this is a useless program but im sure there must be a way to do this automatic.

UPDATE: I realized that the label format does not work syntax wise. I would like bacula to use a different volume each day basically. And recycle them in the beginning of the week so for example:
VOL_SUNDAY_FULL
VOL_MONDAY_INC
VOL_TUESDAY_INC

and so on, and I then when a new week starts it should recycle. Also I'm backing up 3 different clients and I want them to use their own volumes but when I make the volumes they all use the same one until it fills up... this is bad.

I'd appreciate any help I can get. Hopefully you can understand what I'm looking for. I've looked everywhere I can but can't seem to find any solutions for my issue. I apologize if you get multiple copies of this email but I just subscribed to the list and re-sent out the email so it would go through.

Thanks,

Joseph De Nicolo
Systems & Network Administrator
Northeastern University