BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backing up encrypted files

2012-12-11 20:47:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backing up encrypted files
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 19:45:44 -0600

> hi,
>
> Client is Windows 2008R2 server. Server is SL6.3 running BackupPC 3.2.1
>
> Using the encryption that comes with Windows. When trying to backup
> those encrypted files I get access denied.
>
> using smb backup get this:
> NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED opening remote file
>
> using rsync backup get this:
>
> Remote[1]: rsync: send_files failed to open
>
> Doesn't seem to matter which user I try this as.
>
> Does anyone know how I can backup the encrypted files?
>
> Mark

You'll get that error any time you try to access an encrypted file (on
EFS) any time you try to access it without supplying the private key.  I'm
*pretty* sure smbclient doesn't support EFS, but I can't say I've really
tried to make it work.

rsync might be able to do it as a client application, but I haven't tried
this either -- essentially, you'll need to run rsync as a user with
permission to decrypt the files (and the files will be stored decrypted.)

If I interpret your question to mean, "how can I back up the files that
are encrypted by NTFS and have them remain encrypted?"  Then the answer is
shorter:  you can't, unless you use a backup system that's specifically
aware of and able to use the raw API.