BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] can run su backuppc user

2012-12-11 10:12:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] can run su backuppc user
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 07:57:49 -0600
> I inherited an existing backuppc system which is working in the main but
> there are a couple of issues that I am troubleshooting.  1 is email not
> going out, so I logged on to the server and tried to run su backuppc so
> that I can manually try and send an email.  But I get an authentication
> error when I run su backuppc.  I know I have the correct password but
> still am unable to run.

Let's stop right there -- you either know the backuppc password, or you
don't.  You can always "su -" first (to root), or use the root account to
reset the backuppc password, but if you're getting an authentication
error, fix that first.  Most of the time, it means you don't actually have
the correct password.