BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] The dread "Unable to read 4 bytes" / "Read EOF: Connection reset by peer"

2010-05-11 13:36:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] The dread "Unable to read 4 bytes" / "Read EOF: Connection reset by peer"
From: Nick Bright <oz AT valnet DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 12:35:27 -0500
On 5/11/2010 12:30 PM, Josh Malone wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2010 12:26:47 -0500, Nick Bright<oz AT valnet DOT net>  wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>>
> --server

>>> What does --port=38271 mean here?  Isn't that supposed to be used for
>>> standalone rsyncd, not over ssh?
>>>

>> Thank you for taking the time to reply.
>>
>> It's the port that SSHD is listening on. I had been stripping that out
>> because the guy that runs the target server is a little paranoid about
>> his SSH access.
>>
> Can you run:
>
>    /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root TargetServer /usr/bin/rsync --version
>
> And get a proper output? If not then something is up with the remote
> server. You mention paranoia of the remote server admin -- is it possible
> that in his authorized_keys file he's limited the command that can be run
> via that key? If so, is it correct. That's a huge recipe for ssh disaster
> in my experience w/ backuppc.

[backuppc@backuppc tmp]$ /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root TargetServer
/usr/bin/rsync --version
rsync  version 3.0.7  protocol version 30
Copyright (C) 1996-2009 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
Web site: http://rsync.samba.org/
Capabilities:
     64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 32-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
     socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
     append, ACLs, xattrs, iconv, no symtimes

rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  See the GNU
General Public Licence for details.

I just checked the authorized_keys file, nothing out of the ordinary.
Just the RSA key and comment. I'm sure that the problem is with the
Target server's paranoia - I just can't *find* it.

  - Nick