Amanda-Users

Re: [Amanda-users] Nagios Check for running services

2009-11-01 18:22:20
Subject: Re: [Amanda-users] Nagios Check for running services
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 18:14:57 -0500

Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 10:33 PM, valerium
<amanda-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
You could try something like this:

/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_udp -H localhost -p 10080 -w 5 -c 60 -s "Amanda 2.5 REQ HANDLE
000-00000000 SEQ 0" -e "Amanda 2.5 NAK HANDLE 000-00000000 SEQ 0"

This might not be the most elegant way, but it works.

I have no idea what the context is here -- this is another random
email from the backupcentral forums gateway.  But it brings up the
idea of submitting nagios scripts along for inclusion in Amanda's
contrib/ directory.  Anyone want to toss something my way?

Pardon me if this is a naive question, but -- What, exactly, would something like nagios have to offer? Amanda doesn't run as a daemon. So there's no need to check and see that it is still running. Typically, amcheck is run off cron to catch things during the day when sysadmins are around to do something about them. In either case, you get an email that gives you the status of a completed run or if something needs attention.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator