ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM4VE and Summary Table

2012-10-11 14:52:47
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM4VE and Summary Table
From: Neil Schofield <neil.schofield AT YORKSHIREWATER.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 19:19:32 +0100
Steve

Yes, we've noticed the same and it's a right pain.

The TSM for VE incremental backup processing need to read the CTL files
stored during previous backups. We store these on primary disk on the TSM
server and back them up to copy storage pools on tape (not collocated).
The VM proxy servers are running LAN-free and instead of the proxy server
reading this data off the disk copy, it mounts the tapes from the copy
storage pool.

This has all sorts of horrible side effects:
- it slows down the TSM for VE backup while waiting for the tape mount
- concurrent TSM for VE backups are contending for the same cartridge
- during periods of tape drive contention, because the restore of the CTL
files is a higher priority operation it can pre-empt other backups

I've had a PMR open on the issue for over 12 weeks now, but am struggling
to make any head way.

Regards
Neil Schofield
Technical Leader
Yorkshire Water

Spotted a leak?
If you spot a leak please report it immediately. Call us on 0800 57 3553 or go
to http://www.yorkshirewater.com/leaks

Get a free water saving pack
Don't forget to request your free water and energy saving pack, it could save
you money on your utility bills and help you conserve water.
http://www.yorkshirewater.com/savewater

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject to the
legal notice available at http://www.keldagroup.com/email.htm
Yorkshire Water Services Limited
Registered Office Western House, Halifax Road, Bradford, BD6 2SZ
Registered in England and Wales No 2366682