ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Licensing for standby TSM for DB

2012-09-06 12:18:33
Subject: [ADSM-L] Licensing for standby TSM for DB
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 11:31:19 -0400
We have a three node Oracle RAC cluster. TSM for Databases is installed
on each of the three systems. There is a single collection of database
backups that could be read or updated by any of the three instances of
TSM for Databases. Proxy node access was used to set up this arrangement.
So far, one node has performed all the database backups. We have
contingency plans for switching the database backup function to
another node if the current node suffers a prolonged outage.

We currently have enough TSM for Databases value units to cover the
processor configurations on all three cluster nodes. We are
planning a hardware upgrade that will greatly increase the value unit
requirements for each node, and are wondering if we really need
value units for all the nodes. Some Tivoli products have license
agreements that specify that no value units are needed for cold
standby instances of the products.

So far, we have not found any IBM document discussing licensing for cold
standby instances of TSM for Databases. We have also not found any
document that states precisely what event triggers the requirement for
possession of value units for a system with TSM for Databases installed.
The more obvious possibilities include running the software installation
utility, setting up configuration files, connecting to a TSM server,
and sending database backups to a TSM server. Does anyone know of an
IBM document covering either of these points?

Thomas Denier,
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital