ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] DB from Linux to Windows

2012-08-15 08:41:51
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] DB from Linux to Windows
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 22:38:56 +1000
Thanks for weighing in Allen and Wanda

We couldn't get NDMP diffs taken by the filer direct to tape to copy
using backup stg.  Some sort of subtle bug between Filer firmware, TSM
level and the altitude of the machine room :)  Tried support channels
for 4 months with no luck.  Also discovered the awful truth that NDMP
restores need a windows box to run the client for the webgui or they are
unworkable and no-one had factored the care and feeding of a windows box
into the equation.

So as an interim solution I implemented CIFS backups via a dodgy VM,
daily incrbydate/weekend incremental. This works fine and we'll base our
final design on it, but use snapdiff during the week. I'm going to try
subfile differencing on those pesky PST files as well. The obvious way
to avoid one trip across the network and thereby improve performance is
to have the client -on - the server, which implies a windows server and
brings us to the question of how to get there. Hopefully the 10 days
that the initial backup took will be cut to 5 or less by the dedicated
hardware instead of a VM and the reduction in network hops.

Wanda's option of using the new replication facility is a good one.
I'll research it.  Thanks Wanda.

I suppose one advantage of using DB2 is that it does have platform
migration utilities, but someone has to test and certify for use before
platform transformation can become supported.  I'm of the opinion that
being platform-bound is unacceptable in todays IT landscape, but that's
just me.

Regards

Steve