ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Slow backup

2012-08-07 11:16:59
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Slow backup
From: "Arbogast, Warren K" <warbogas AT INDIANA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 15:10:17 +0000
Allen,
Thank you for the suggestions.

By 'proxy agent' I mean they are authorized to do backups on behalf of the
target server.

We are doing possibility one, in your set of cases, with four agents. I kept
the example simple for readability, but perhaps some clarity was lost.

It seems we may just need to endure slow backups until the entire filesystem
has been copied again by the proxy agents.

You say,  "I will note that this is unlikely to accelerate your wall-clock time;
if you've got resourceutilization 10, you've probably got 5+ threads
walking the FS, you've probably moved your bottleneck to IOPS on your
NAS as it tries to pull the metadata to satisfy the FS walk.  20
threads won't do that faster."

Are you saying that reducing Resourceutilization would likely improve the
throughput of the backup? Or, that the "backup by proxy plan itself is ill
conceived for some other reason?

Thank you,
Keith