ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Do you perform Windows SYSTEMSTATE backups?

2012-07-25 08:46:27
Subject: [ADSM-L] Do you perform Windows SYSTEMSTATE backups?
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 08:39:26 -0400
We are constantly seeing problems with Windows VSS and systemstate
backups.  The recent "black Tuesday" updates has causes numerous Windows
servers to start having backup problem where they previously worked just
fine.

In most cases they require the VSS hotfixes/fixpacks, etc.  The quickest
fix is to simply stop systemstate backups since VSS patches usually require
reboots.

I bought up the issue of "have we ever restored the systemstate or any
objects within" and the response was "No, Never".

So I am wondering, how many folks here who backup Windows servers, include
SYSTEMSTATE backups and why?

--
*Zoltan Forray*
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator