ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Moving to TSM Capacity based licensing from PVU - experiences

2012-07-16 08:53:56
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Moving to TSM Capacity based licensing from PVU - experiences
From: Rick Adamson <RickAdamson AT WINN-DIXIE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 08:44:18 -0400
Ian,
Our company looked into it and thought it may save some $$ and at the
same time simplify the OVERLY complex PVU license model used for
TSM/IBM.

I'll start by saying to make sure you understand what TSM products are
included in the "capacity" license proposal. From memory I don't
remember the exact ones but it does not apply to all TSM licenses. This
obviously means that the capacity license model may be attractive to
some and unattractive to others. Your IBM rep should be able to clarify
this.

Also, in our environment we use a Data Domain backend which as you may
know prefers all incoming data to be uncompressed and unencrypted. Since
the TSM servers have no knowledge of the DD processes it reports the raw
storage numbers before compression and deduplication which negatively
affected the capacity licensing pricing.

We opened discussions on this issue with IBM but they refused to budge
or negotiate an adjustment for the "actual" storage used. Needless to
say that position was not too warmly received and we 86'ed the whole
discussion.

Interestingly, had we used IBM storage/deduplication on the backend they
would use the actual storage, but no such provision for Data Domain.

Good luck....

~Rick