ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] changing stgpool to access=unavailable

2012-07-06 13:10:31
Subject: [ADSM-L] changing stgpool to access=unavailable
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 13:06:51 -0400
On Monday evening I have the first occasion to perform some maintenance
on one of our DataDomain systems.  Our DD's are all setup for NFS access,
so they are using FILE device type pools.

The plan is to:

- stop all processes/sessions writing to the DD based FILE stgpools
- mark the stgpool access=unavailable
- umount the NFS filesystem
- perform the DD work
- mount the NFS filesystem
- mark stgpool access=readwrite

Question:  What happens when a pool is changed to "access=unavailable"?

With tape, I can mark drive offline and the current process will
keep writing to it until it finishes.

Is the same true with access=unavailable for a FILE dev pool?
In other words, can I mark it unavailable FIRST, and then cancel
any processes/sessions using it.  This would prevent the wack-a-mole
of sessions/processes starting as I cancel others.

(note: disk pool will still be available during this work.  The disk pool
has a max size threshold set to force big files directly onto the DD. )

Rick

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.