ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Exchange 2010 issues

2012-06-29 10:23:44
Subject: [ADSM-L] Exchange 2010 issues
From: Geoff Gill <avalnche96 AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 06:41:17 -0700
With a new job comes new problems, in this case Exchange, which was something
that was not backed up to TSM at my previous job so any advice is welcome.

I don't have much information I can give at the moment. All I've been told is
backups are 5-6TB and take up to 4 days to complete and if the full doesn't
complete then it causes logging problems and servers to crash. I also don't
know the backup strategy as of this moment.

I also have no info yet on back-end hardware, so disk and NIC setup could also
be an issue, what I have been told though is they are going direct to
tape......LTO1.....which I do see as an issue.

I was also told this "it uses vss and proxy node on tsm to backup exchange",
but I'm not exactly sure what proxy node means in this scenario since I've
never worked with Exchange backups on TSM before.

I was hoping with what little info I can provide that those having great
success with Exchange backups would have some advice. I'd also like to know
your hardware setup, what your backup strategy is, full+inc, full+diff,
throughput rates you're getting, how much data you are backing up and the
amount of time it takes.

All suggestions are definitely welcome

Thank You
Geoff Gill