ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] DBUnload, need for speed

2012-06-27 09:41:35
Subject: [ADSM-L] DBUnload, need for speed
From: "Loon, EJ van - SPLXO" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 15:23:07 +0200
Hi TSM-ers!
My TSM databases are running for quite a while (since 4.1) and they are
becoming rather fragmented, one of them more that 25%! It becomes
noticeable too, expiration is running longer and longer.
Our TSM servers are all running in AIX 5.3 on a P-series 570, SAN
attached to a VMAX (OS, DB and LOG) and VNX (diskpool) storage subsystem
and two EMC DL4106 DiskLibraries (VTS without physical tapes).
Unloading the smallest (95 Gb) database takes about 7 hours, loading it
takes about 3.5 hours. These tests are perform with a live database copy
on our test environment. Overall it takes too long to do this on our
live environment.
I tried several scenarios: multiple filesystems, RAW lv's, cio/dio
mounted filesystems, multiple database volumes on multiple filesystems,
everything you can think of, but there's only a small gain in using
multiple volumes on dio mounted filesystems, the rest is marginal or
even worse.
The first part of the unload is running very fast (4 or even 5 million
entries per minute, but at a given point performance drops dramatically.
It's always at the same point (around 80%), so my guess is that that's
the most heavily fragmented part.
The only thing I can think of to speed up the process is to use a
storage device with a very low latency, like SSD, but unfortunately
that's not supported on the P5 series...
Does anybody have some additional tips I can try?
Thanks for your reply in advance!
Kind regards,
Eric van Loon
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines