ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Document storage (ignore the first paragraph if you like)

2012-06-06 20:08:00
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Document storage (ignore the first paragraph if you like)
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 20:01:17 -0400
Remco,

Can we see/have your script?  We came up with a similar solution and would
like to "compare notes".  By "san discovery", do you mean the TSM server
option?

Zoltan Forray
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator
Virginia Commonwealth University
UCC/Office of Technology Services
zforray AT vcu DOT edu - 804-828-4807

From:   Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date:   06/06/2012 03:52 PM
Subject:        Re: [ADSM-L] Document storage (ignore the first paragraph
if you like)

regarding 3:

1- sandiscovery should help resolve this
2- to avoid sandiscovery I've created a shell script to rename the tape
devices based on serial or wwpn so each drive has the same name on every
server.

On 6 jun. 2012, at 19:12, Alex Paschal wrote:

> Hi, Geoff.  Congrats.  Let's see if we can get you hitting the ground
running.

> Because I'm often on customer computers without access to the Internet
from my own laptop, I Google:
>     tivoli storage manager 6.3 information center
> I take the first option, and when the infocenter comes up, I click
"Printable PDF documentation" and download the pdfs to the customer's
workstation.  I use Firefox with DownloadThemAll to make it a pretty fast
and easy process.

> For the support site, I google:  tivoli storage manager support portal
>
> Maintenance and Patches are at:  ftp://index.storsys.ibm.com > Tivoli
Storage Management

> Library manager/client is pretty easy.  Here's the recipe.
> 1) Configure server-to-server communications
> 2)  Define library on library manager
>    a) define library lib1 libtype=scsi shared=yes
>    b) define path server1 lib1 as usual
>    c) define drive/path for all drives as usual
>    e) label/checkin libvol
> 3) Look at the serial numbers or wwpns of the drives (q drive f=d)
> 4) Configure each library client (e.g. server2)
>    a) define library lib1 libtype=shared primarylibmanager=server1
>    b) figure out which drives go with which rmts based on #3
>    c)  Log into server1, issue a bunch of "define path" statements for
server2
>    d)  Test
>
> Some notes:
> On libmgr (server1), q libvol f=d, observe "owner" information
> update libvol A12345L5 owner=server2  (might be necessary some day)
> With libraries with many drives (VTLs) or clients, #3, #4b, and #4c are
best scripted.

> Once upon a time, running audit library from a library client would wipe
out all the owner information for all the libvols owned by other library
clients.  I don't know if that's been fixed.  Since then, I've just
created scripts to simply "update libvol" the owner information for all
the appropriate libvols if it was ever necessary.

> Good luck!
> Alex
>

> On 6/6/2012 7:13 AM, Geoff Gill wrote:
>> Hello,
>> While I've interviewed for numerous positions the past 2 years, up
until now I had been passed over for someone with "more recent
experience". So giving up a 5 day a week zamboni job with little pay and
5am start times was actually hard to do when I got the call, believe it or
not. It was also difficult leaving because the CHL team just added 4
retired NHL players as owners/coaches/team advisers, and a new coach,
which means this team is going to be even more competitive in the future.
Craig Ludwig, Richard Matvichuk (Assistant coach), Ed Belfour and Mike
Modano, Along with current owner Steve Duchesne, will bring real talent to
the team, which is the very reason I would prefer to be at the rink every
day instead of sitting at home.
>> Anyway, I have just been given a 6 month engagement to help with TSM at
a local site here in Dallas. I get to work from home but currently do not
have a laptop or access to the environment. While waiting I've been asked
to brush up on TSM DB restores, which I have done on 5.5, and TSM Library
Manager/Lib Client configuration, which I am not familiar with, so I'm
looking for the current IBM document storage site, while looking for
with those of you familiar with the Library Manager. I don't have
information as to the version(s) of TSM I'll be dealing with but as I
recall the site, as it used to be configured, allowed you to select quite
easily. And while I've kept most of my notes from the past I don't have
links to those places I used to get information. Again, since I have never
worked with the TSM Library Manager/Lib Client config it's going to be
from scratch learning.
>> Currently I only receive a single ADSM-L daily email, so I will
probably change that to get a more real time response update to questions
I might post.

>> Please feel free to send me info or questions directly, email below,
off topic hockey questions are always welcome. I know Richard is quite
close to some great hockey, he most certainly knows his TSM though, which
is what this list is for obviously.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post