ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape Volume usage

2012-05-26 18:51:49
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape Volume usage
From: Steven Langdale <steven.langdale AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 23:46:07 +0100
Hello

It sounds, from your post, that you are ejecting PRIMARY volumes to put in
the safe,  this is not really how it's supposed to work.

Whilst you can of course take them out of the library, TSM expects to be
able to use them whenever it wants.

You are seeing incresed tape usage because TSM cannot append to a tape that
is not available.

You should keep all primary volumes in the library and have a copy storage
pool to keep in the safe, that way you will not use loads of volumes AND
reclaimation will also work.

The other benefit is that you will have TWO copies of the data.  Ejecting
primary volumes means only one copy - if you have a volume go bad (or
missing) you have lost data.

Steven

On 25 May 2012 10:10, Botelho, Tiago (External) <Tiago.Botelho AT volkswagen
DOT pt