ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Backup of CIFS

2012-05-10 15:11:53
Subject: [ADSM-L] Backup of CIFS
From: George Huebschman <george.huebschman AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 15:04:18 -0400
To back up CIFS shares on a NetApp filer from a Windows host, I believe
that I need to have Domain Admin permission.

I am being told that if I can browse and access the files on the share with
the backup logon, that is enough.

I have two client servers in different locations.  I am using one logon for
both of them, but one client is in a different domain.

I can (more or less) backup  the files in the Prod domain (it takes 8
days…), but I get the error that a required NT Permission is not held for
all of the directories on the client in the DR domain.

The CIFS shares are in the dsm.opt as domains.

I can map to them in the <Start>, <Run>, <\\filername\cifs_Share_name >
fashion from the logon profile that I use for all the other backups.  I can
browse files and access them.

But just because I can browse and access does not mean I can back them up,
correct?  The TSM Client is only able to backup local filesystems unless it
has authority in the domain, correct?  Or not?

George Huebschman