ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] V5.5 -> V6.2.3 Move - Chicken-and-Egg Question

2012-04-25 10:50:33
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] V5.5 -> V6.2.3 Move - Chicken-and-Egg Question
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 10:46:02 -0400
On 04/23/2012 02:21 PM, Shawn Drew wrote:
Why wouldn't you use tape for the DB backup/restore.  Seems like that
would be faster and easier than using a remote server-server connection.

My reason for that was thus:  In order to let the new server access the
tapes for DB restore, I must let the new server access the tapes. :)   I
didn't want to let that happen at all, at all; so I stuck the backup on
media which I could offer the new server without endangering the 'old'
(i.e. still live production) server.

Another option is just halting TSM and rsyncing the db/log volumes over to
the new location, assuming it is the same path on the new server.

Works for the final exercise, but not for testing.

- Allen S. Rout