ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] RFE 17805

2012-04-03 01:54:08
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] RFE 17805
From: Markus Engelhard <markus.engelhard AT BUNDESBANK DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 07:50:39 +0200
Dear Remco et al.,

I agree that in a "poor man´s cluster" with only part of the infrastructure
failing over, some manual processes have to be initiated:
- I like the policy set solution, as the scripts will also enable just an
outage of one of the libraries
- if you run an active-active and copy-copy setup, you can double the
number of drives for backup (if you copy asynchronously) and set the "DR
pool" as next pool
- I´m not so fond of changing the device classes
- I have not yet meddled with node replication, but I certainly will
(dreaming of a four site low bandwidth disk only environment...)

I had to run these sort of settings in our branch offices with TSM on
windows and LTO1/2 in IBM 3583 back in the TSM 5.3 days, you were really
kept in practice for weekly DRs in these environments!
Finally I was able to consolidate to an enterprise scale. In the end it
boiled down to virtualizing the libraries with near-transparent failover,
just one IO-error and it´s done and self-repairing once both sides are up
and running again. One more point ist having the databases (ERP; ORACLE;
DOMINO; ...) have enough space to survive at least 24 hours without dumping
their transaction logs. You have to have at least one of these features
(best both), else the design is to be put to question. Ask the managers if
they want to be enterprise or if they just want to pretend to be...

In the end it would of course be nice to have such a feature, but who will
decide desaster is here? Normally it would be more than a HACMP or likewise
failover to declare desaster, time enough to have someone push the button
to run the scripts.

Kind regards,
Markus Engelhard
Dipl. Min.
Deutsche Bundesbank
Zentrale
Produktmanagement Infrastrukturen

Wilhelm-Epstein-Straße 14
60431 Frankfurt am Main

Tel.: 069 9566-6104
Fax: 069 9566-4290
E-Mail: markus.engelhard AT bundesbank DOT de
www.bundesbank.de

vernichten Sie diese E-Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte
Weitergabe dieser Mail oder von Teilen dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.

Wir haben alle verkehrsüblichen Maßnahmen unternommen, um das Risiko der
Verbreitung virenbefallener Software oder E-Mails zu minimieren, dennoch
raten wir Ihnen, Ihre eigenen Virenkontrollen auf alle Anhänge an dieser
Nachricht durchzuführen. Wir schließen außer für den Fall von Vorsatz oder
grober Fahrlässigkeit die Haftung für jeglichen Verlust oder Schäden durch
virenbefallene Software oder E-Mails aus.

Jede von der Bank versendete E-Mail ist sorgfältig erstellt worden, dennoch
schließen wir die rechtliche Verbindlichkeit aus; sie kann nicht zu einer
irgendwie gearteten Verpflichtung zu Lasten der Bank ausgelegt werden.

unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of  the material in this
e-mail or of parts hereof is strictly forbidden.

We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software
viruses but nevertheless advise you to carry out your own virus checks on
any attachment of this message. We accept no liability for loss or damage
caused by software viruses except in case of gross negligence or willful
behaviour.

Any e-mail messages from the Bank are sent in good faith, but shall not be
binding or construed as constituting any kind of obligation on the part of
the Bank.