ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] More tsm encryption questions

2012-03-23 08:53:15
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] More tsm encryption questions
From: Bill Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 08:50:56 -0400
Depends on your goal for encryption. If you need it for encrypting during
transport ( or maybe use SSL ), encrypted data at rest on your storage, data
is encrypted on the tapes going offsite,... Yeah the key is in the TSM DB,
but your need to restore/rebuild TSM to be able to get it. Just dumping out
the tape isn't going to get you any eye-readable material. Don't know if the
auditors or lawyers would accept it, but it's better than nothing. I've
referred to it in the past as the cheap managers' encryption scheme. If you
really need to lock it down, then hardware encryption is the way to go with
an external key manager, but that co$t$, is vender specific as you need TKLM
if you use IBM hardware and you can't mix it if you go to a recovery site.

So it depends on what you're trying to accomplish  and the budget you have.