ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Exchange 2010 backup and restore in DAG configuration

2012-03-13 04:54:54
Subject: [ADSM-L] Exchange 2010 backup and restore in DAG configuration
From: Stefan Folkerts <stefan.folkerts AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 09:48:25 +0100
Hello all,

I am working with a customer who has an Microsoft Exchange 2010 DAG setup
and wants to implement TSM backup for mail.
DAG uses active and passive databases and, of course, the customer only
wants to backup the passive databases (replica's).
Each database has two passive copy's for redundancy.

Each Exchange server has it's own node on the TSM server the passive /
active database float around the Exchange cluster and thus the node that
makes the backup changes.
This makes restores a bit of an issue because the data is spread amongs
multiple TSM nodes, we also have our doubts about the expiration of data
with this configuration.

We currently run ;

tdpexcc backup * full /tsmoptfile="D:\Program
Files\Tivoli\TSM\TDPExchange\dsm.opt" /EXCLUDEDAGACTIVE
/configfile="D:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\TDPExchange\tdpexc.cfg"

The documentation doesn't give much information rather than (PDF warning) ;

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tsminfo/v6r3/topic/com.ibm.itsm.mail.exc.doc/b_dp_mail_exc_guide_win.pdf

Acrobat page 34/35.

Can we, like we do with VMware use 'asnode' or something similar to place
the backup data in a single nodename or are there any other clever
supported tricks?

Regards,
  Stefan