ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Deployment Engine Failed to initialize

2012-02-29 08:06:47
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Deployment Engine Failed to initialize
From: Keith Arbogast <warbogas AT INDIANA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 07:57:13 -0500
Referring to, "Anyone try a 5.x client with a 6.3 server?"

It is my understanding that the V6.3 server code was not designed for
compatibility with V5 clients, and that TSM Support will limit its problem
solving help to "best effort".

To discover the degree of incompatibility, we downgraded a V6 Linux client to
V5.5.3, and backed it up successfully to a RHEL5 V6.3 TSM test server. We also
downgraded a Windows V6 client to V5.5.3, and backed it up successfully to the
RHEL5 V6.3 TSM test server. We have not tried restores yet.

About 9% of our clients were on V5. We announced the TSM server upgrade about
six weeks ago, describing the potential incompatibility. Then, followed up by
direct contact with the admins of the V5 clients to help them migrate to V6.
The announcement, and the incompatibility issue, has helped motivate some
client admins to finally retire some servers that were already moribund. There
are about a dozen V5 clients left, but most of them belong to the 'Unix Support
Group' who can roll with the punches.

Best wishes,
Keith Arbogast