ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Server DB restore from offsite TSM server SNAPSHOT

2012-02-21 09:50:46
Subject: [ADSM-L] Server DB restore from offsite TSM server SNAPSHOT
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 09:44:50 -0500
I am trying to experiment with doing a V5 to V6 conversion by first
restoring the V5 server to a test server.

We have very little experience doing DB restores and none involving an
offsite TSM server.  My first attempts failed.  I think I know how to fix
it but the docs on how to perform a DB restore are a little contradictory
to what I want to do.

SERVER-A performs DB SNAPSHOT backups to SERVER-B via server-to-server
definitions.

Installed a same-level TSM server onto a test machine.
Did "dsmserv format" to prepare DB space to the equivalent of  SERVER-A.
Replaced the test server volhist, devconfig and dsmserv.opt files from
copies of SERVER-A like-files.

Tried to do a "dsmserv restore db volumenames=name.I.got.from.volhist
devclass=SERVER-B"

Since I tried this over a month ago, I don't recall the error but I think
it has to do with the server-to-server definition being out of sync since
this is not the original SERVER-A.

My guess is to bring up the test server and manually do a "UPDATE SERVER
SERVER-B FORCESYNCE=YES"

However, when I go through the book scenarios on restoring a server DB, it
says:

"Attention: Do not start the server until after you restore the database
(the next step). Starting the server before the restore would destroy any
existing volume history files."

So, how do I do this?  Do I bring up the test server first and correct the
sync before replacing the volhist file?

Am I wrong in how I  am trying to do this?  Is there a better/different
way to do this?

Looking for any suggestions/hints.....

Zoltan Forray
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator