ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Expiration performance TSM 5.5 (request)

2012-02-16 18:20:55
Subject: [ADSM-L] Expiration performance TSM 5.5 (request)
From: "Loon, EJ van - SPLXO" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 15:02:14 +0100
Hi TSM-ers!
I'm struggling with the performance of our expiration process. I can't
get it any faster than 100 object/second max. We tried everything, like
using more or less database volumes, multiple volumes per filesystem,
mirroring, unmirroring, but nothing seems to have any positive effect.
We are using SAN attached enterprise class storage (EMC Vmax) with the
fastest disks available.
I have seen other users with similar (or larger) databases with much
higher figures, like more than 1000 objects/sec, so there must be
something I can do to achieve this. In 2007 at the Oxford TSM Symposium
(http://tsm-symposium.oucs.ox.ac.uk/2007/papers/Dave%20Canan%20-%20Disk%
20Tuning%20and%20TSM.pdf page 25) IBM also stated that 1000 object/sec
is possible.
I would really like to know from other TSM 5.5 users how their
expiration is performing. Could you please let me know by sending me the
output from the following two SQL queries, along with the platform you
are using:

select activity, cast((end_time) as date) as "Date",
(examined/cast((end_time-start_time) seconds as decimal(18,13))*3600)
"Objects Examined/Hr" from summary where activity='EXPIRATION' and
days(end_time)-days(start_time)=0

select capacity_mb as "Capacity MB", pct_utilized as "Percentage in
use", cast(capacity_mb*pct_utilized/100 as integer) as "Used MB" from db

Thank you VERY much for your help in advance!!!!
Kind regards,
Eric van Loon
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
information, services and offers, please visit our web site:
e-mail, and delete this message.<br><br>Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV
(KLM), its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the
incorrect or incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor
responsible for any delay in receipt.<br>Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij
N.V. (also known as KLM Royal Dutch Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The
Netherlands, with registered number  33014286