ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] million files backup

2012-02-02 09:55:35
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] million files backup
From: "Schneider, Jim" <jschneider AT USSCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 08:47:24 -0600
Jorge,

On Unix systems:
I've done it in two steps.  Create a tar file of the file system and zip
it.  Create a second file listing all the files in the tarred directory.
The tar extract command allows single files to be recalled if the
absolute path name is available.

I've used this to backup a Sterling Commerce flat file database with
multiple subdirectories holding more than 1.5 million files.  The
tar/gzip command took 5 or 6 hours for a 500 GB file system.

I have not tried to do this on a Windows system.

Jim Schneider