ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM in AIX WPARS

2012-01-25 13:45:46
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM in AIX WPARS
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 13:22:23 -0500
We use VIO/NPIV based tape drives for a bunch of storage agents.  Once
setup and working it works well.  We ran into several bumps along the
road:

1)  We had to double the vio server memory (1g to 2gb I think).
2)  We had to patch VIO to a newer level.
3)  There are limits to the number of tape drives you can define in a lpar
this way.  I'm thiniking 62 or so - don't remember exactly.  It's a limit
on scsi targets.  Every tape drives is a separate scsi target.
4)  I also think there is a total limit on scsi targets across all lpars
defined to a vio based hba.
5)  Learning about how vio handles targets and how to clear them.  To
clear/reset the vio targets you have to drop the fcs adapter in the lpar.
Delete/recreating a rmt devcie in the lpar doesn't do it.

We've still had problems with loosing  npiv WWN's.  Somehow the vio
mappings have got lost such that we had to get all new wwn's in the lpar.
To say the least this caused pain!

Rick